Youth School 2016
Wednesday 17/08 Arrivals, introduction.
- [Starting] at 4 pm.
1. Introduction to our critical Marxism - Alex Merlo
- Marx's materialism: The Theses on Feuerbach. Self-emancipation.
- Introduction to historical materialism: The notions of base and superstructure.
- Introduction to the Marxist critique of political economy: use value, exchange value, surplus value, exploitation.
2. The working class today - Maral Jefroudi
- What is the working class? The notion of class in Marx and marxism
- The changes in the class composition of the working class during the late 20th Century
- The problem of class consciousness and intersecting identities
3. Marx and ecology, the global ecological crisis - Marijke Colle
- Climate crisis, biodiversity crisis, energy crisis and link with the capitalist mode of production.
- The notion of progress put into question, struggle of indigenous peoples, land grabbing etc.
- Our ecosocialist answers
4.Imperialism and geopolitical disorder in the 21st century - Peter Drucker
- Classic theory on imperialism
- US imperialism and emerging new powers - towards a multipolar world?
- Imperialism in disorder: from the 1930s to Brexit and Trump
5. Europe in crisis - Daniel Albarracin
- The authoritarian and austerian offensive in Europe
- The state of the European Left (from the Left party to anti-capitalists)
- Southern Europe as the laboratory of the crisis and the focal point of resistance
Tuesday 23/08 Day off
6. Women's liberation and LGTB struggles- Nadia de Mond
- A Marxist-feminist analysis of women’s oppression and exploitation
- Gender, sexuality, intersectionality: the question of oppression in a broader framework
- LGBTQ theories and struggles
7. Revolution and repression in the Middle-East - Joseph Daher
– The structural causes of the Arab revolts
– The reactionary counter-offensive
- The role of the left and the revolutionaries in these movements
8. Immigration and anti-racism - Mamadou Ba
- What is racism?
- EU and refugees & immigration
- Anti-racist struggles
9. The Fourth International and strategic debates - Alex de Jong
- Our strategic goal
- The role of the revolutionary party
- How can broad parties be a bridge between where we are now and what we want
10. Evaluation and general cleaning