Youth School 2014
0. Tuesday 19/08 Arrivals, introduction. The Fourth International
- Starting at 4 pm.
1. Introduction to our critical Marxism - Alex Merlo
- Marx's materialism: The Theses on Feuerbach. Self-emancipation.
- Introduction to historical materialism: The notions of base and superstructure.
- Introduction to the Marxist critique of political economy: use value, exchange value, surplus value, exploitation.
2. Marx and ecology , the global ecological crisis – Marijke Colle
- Climate crisis, biodiversity crisis, energy crisis and link with the capitalist mode of production.
- The notion of progress put into question, struggle of indigenous peoples, land grabbing etc.
- Our ecosocialist answers
3. The working class today – Mar Maira
- What is the working class? The notion of class in Marx and marxism
- The changes in the class composition of the working class during the late 20th Century
- The problem of class conciousness and intersecting identities
4. Women's liberation and LGTB struggles - Nadia De Mond
- A Marxist-feminist analysis of women’s oppression and exploitation
- Gender, sexuality, intersectionality: the question of oppression in a broader framework
- LGBTQ theories and struggles
5. Imperialism and new emerging powers in the 21st Century - Peter Drucker
- Classic theory on imperialism
- US Imperialism since WW2
- The emergence of new powers - towards a multipolar world?
Monday 25/08 Day off
6. The global economic crisis - Jean Claude Vessillier
- Historical origin of the crisis: the neoliberal era
- Marxist analysis of the crisis : falling rate of profit, over accumulation, etc.
- Nature and possible outcomes of the current crisis
7. New movements of resistance, USA - Michael Marchmann
- The (Im)balance of Forces in the USA
- The Long Decline of the Left and the Labor Movement in the US
- New Signs of Life on the Left
8. Crisis in Eastern Europe: the dilemmas of the revolutionaries - Catherine Samary
- The new world order and its phases since 1989 seen through the recent Ukrainian crisis
- The new social and political movements since the crisis of 2009 from the Balkan and the Civiq Plenums in Bosnia to Ukraine; in the context of the new mass movements throughout the world
- The role of the left and the revolutionaries in these movements
9. The Fourth International and strategic debates - Alex de Jong
- Our strategic goal
- The role of the revolutionary party
- How can broad parties be a bridge between where we are now and what we want
10. Evaluation and general cleaning
Structure of the day
- 9.00-9.40: Lecture part 1
- 9.40-9.50: Break
- 9.50-10.30: Lecture Part 2
- 10.30-10.40: Break
- 10.40-11:20: Lecture Part 3
- 11.20-11.30: Break
- 11.30-12.00: Questions and answers
- 12.00-15.00: Lunch and time for individual reading
- 15.00-16.30: Discussion in language groups
- 16.30-18.00: Final discussion starting with reports from the group
- 18.00-20.30: Reading time
- 20.30: Evening meal